Charlie Gard’s family say the ‘fight is not over’

0
92


Charlie Gard’s family have said the “fight is not over” as they prepare for a fresh court battle over the treatment of the terminally ill 11-month-old.

Parents Connie Yates and Chris Gard tweeted their thanks to supporters for sharing the story of their baby boy on Saturday along with the message that they will continue to fight for their son’s future.

Sorry, this content isn’t available on your device.

The couple’s message came as they looked set to join supporters on Sunday as a petition with more than 350,000 signatures is delivered to Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) where their baby is currently being cared for.

It also comes ahead of a fresh hearing of Charlie’s case in the High Court on Monday.

Charlie, has a rare, degenerative genetic condition which affects the cells responsible for energy production and respiration and leaves him unable to move or breathe without a ventilator.

Doctors had previously won an order to say Charlie’s life support should be turned off in a case that went all the way to the European Court of Human Rights.

But on Friday GOSH announced it had applied to return to the court “in light of claims of new evidence relating to potential treatment for his condition” in the wake of an offer from a US hospital to ship an experimental drug to the UK to help treat Charlie.

After being informed the case would be reviewed again in court Charlie’s mother said she was “hopeful and confident that Charlie may get his chance now”.



Source

World News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here