Relatives of a family of four, including a five-year-old girl, killed in a house fire said they are in “total shock” at their deaths.
The family were named as 40-year-old Anisha Umerji, and her three children Hammad, 12, Yusuf, 10 and and five-year-old Khadija.
In a statement released through the Bolton Council of Mosques, the family said the fire was accidental and was caused by a halogen heater.
They added: “We are aware that all the emergency services did everything they could to rescue the family members and we appreciate their efforts.”
The father, named locally as Zubair Umerji, remains in hospital after jumping from a first floor window and then attempting to smash his way back into the house.
Firefighters described the fire as “intense”.
Paramedics and fire crews gave the victims CPR but one of the children was pronounced dead at the scene. Mrs Umerji and two other children died later in hospital.
An eyewitness said: “It’s terrible, absolutely terrible. I saw them bringing people out. They were doing chest compressions.
Another eyewitness, who asked not to be named, said: “I saw the grandmother of the kids crying once it was known they were dead.”