Rotten Tomatoes has made the fandom of certain movies…rather intense, to the say the least, as everyone wants to ensure their favorites are scored ultra-high by critics, and when they’re not, well, there’s hell to pay.
As we reach the culmination of a decade of Marvel films with Avengers: Endgame, I thought it was time to take a look back to see what the most well-reviewed MCU movies have been, especially considering MCU movies in generally are very well-reviewed compared to most other action blockbusters.
I’m going to include Avengers: Endgame in this list because yes, it is definitely in the top ten and I’m sure you’re curious to see where it falls. If there’s a tie, the winner is the movie with more total reviews.
So, what’s the top ten list? Here we go:
10. Doctor Strange (89% – 348 reviews)
9. Captain America: The Winter Solider (90% – 288 reviews)
8. Guardians of the Galaxy (91% – 313 reviews)
7. Captain America: Civil War (91% – 391 reviews)
6. The Avengers (92% – 344 reviews)
5. Spider-Man Homecoming (92% – 363 reviews)
4. Thor Ragnarok (92% – 385 reviews)
3. Iron Man (93% – 275 reviews)
2. Avengers Endgame (97% – 292 reviews)
1. Black Panther (97% – 464 reviews)
Quite a list, one I’m sure you agree or disagree with in a number of ways. A few other facts about the grand list of MCU movies:
- Infinity War, the “biggest” movie on the list (until Endgame, at least), was #12 with an 85%.
- Captain Marvel, the source of much internet controversy, is decently low at a 78%.
- 2018’s Ant-Man and The Wasp almost edged into the top ten at 88%.
- Tied for the lowest rated movies are The Incredible Hulk, if you do indeed count that as an MCU film, and Thor: The Dark World, both at 67%, low on this scale, but still fresh.
- As more reviews come in for Avengers: Endgame, there’s still time for it to pass Black Panther, so this may not be “final.”
Personally, I think it’s a solid list. I don’t agree with everything on it, but all my true favorites are there. I’d probably swap out Doctor Strange for Guardians 2, and knock Black Panther down 6-7 places or so (It’s a beautiful film but definitely not top 1 or 2 in the entire franchise), but other than that, I’m fine with this. Though I have not seen Endgame yet (tomorrow!).
Marvel is going to keep expanding this list in time. Next up we have Spider-Man: Far From Home, and then Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and a Black Widow feature as the next few confirmed movies in the franchise. This will never end so long as these movies routinely gross billions at the box office, and there are no signs that’s going to stop any time soon. It’s also an interesting list to compare to the DCEU, which doesn’t even have ten total films yet, though they span a much larger range of quality. The last three features, however, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam, have all been Marvel-ish in the critical praise heaped on them.
An interesting list to be sure, and one that will likely keep changing in time.
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Read my new sci-fi thriller novel Herokiller, available now in print and online. I also wrote The Earthborn Trilogy.