Demonstrators plan to take to the streets of Sacramento, Calif., once again on Saturday to protest the shooting death of 22-year-old Stephon Clark by police.
The new round of protests will follow demonstrations on Friday, when protesters gathered at city hall before marching to Old Sacramento, the city’s historic district, according to Reuters. Dozens of police and highway patrol officers sought to bar the protesters from marching onto a highway.
The demonstrators carried signs and chanted Clark’s name, Reuters reported. Some had megaphones and others wore black masks.
The protests on Friday were the latest in a series voicing outrage over the death of Clark, who was shot by Sacramento police on March 18 while unarmed in the backyard of his grandmother’s house.
More protests are planned for Saturday, according to Reuters.
The results of an independent autopsy of Clark commissioned by his family revealed on Friday that he had been struck by eight bullets: six hit his back, one hit his side and the other hit his leg.
The findings contradict the official police account of the shooting. Officers said they opened fire because Clark began moving toward them aggressively and they believed he had a gun. He was holding a cellphone.
The Sacramento Police Department said in a statement that it was awaiting the results of an official autopsy by the county coroner, and would not comment on the case until then, Reuters reported.